Tuesday, July 9, 2013

July 9

Hiked out of the horrible depths of the forest this morning. I felt like I was on a different trail. There were no crests, no peaks, no glaciers, just thick shrubs and a roaring stream next to me. I did not feel safe at all given the bear scat piled on the trail every mile or half mile. So glad to climb 1500 ft and be back at elevation with ridges and views for miles. The deep forest is no place to hike alone, it still gives me the creeps.

Found snow covering the trail on cutthroat pass and an older gentleman on a day 1 of a 5 day outing let me come across the snow field and make a safe passage with footholds for him. I guess with age comes experience right?

Then for the highlight of my week. The best bit of trail magic any thru-hiker could ask for. A short conversation about the trail with a couple day hikers turned into a shuttle into town, dinner, and a ride back to my cushy home for the night called the Country Inn of Mazama. 

Sandeep and Cindy Arora thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you did for me today. I will never forget the kindness. Malcolm S. Forbes said “You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."  I believe I saw character today that is of a much higher standard. Thanks again.

1 comment: