Thursday, July 18, 2013

July 17

We had a crazy lightning storm last night that lasted for a few hours. Thunder and lightning right over our heads lighting up the tent. I loved it! Reminded me of the Midwest. Unlike the Midwest, however, it was gone before daylight and we hike for just a few minutes in a slight drizzle that melted away into sunshine and another day of beautiful hiking. Louis and I make great hiking partners and will probably hike a couple sections together.

At lunch I found a nice cold mountain stream to bathe in. It felt so nice to be clean and lay on a dark, warm rock in the sun for a few minutes and rest my legs. I found the source of my foot pain and blisters too and have started the healing process. Turns out it was my expensive shoe insole inserts. I am hiking today and tomorrow without them and so far it has been very helpful.

We were passing by a lake today and Louis was wanting to bathe before he slept tonight so we are spending the night about 1/4 mile off trail camped next to some weekend hiker brothers who have been excellent company for us. So far they've shared their campfire, stories and candy with us. Both of us are glad to have some interaction with other hikers. It's been a good day. We should easily make another lakeside campsite tomorrow. Maybe there will be more day hikers with candy...

No comments:

Post a Comment