Tuesday, July 9, 2013

July 5th

My big mistake from day one has set me back 2 days on my hike after I took a wrong turn and put in some bonus miles. I ended up following a trail that runs parallel with the PCT so compass headings matched up. I check my GPS constantly now as I don't want any more bonus miles. This trail is long enough.

My extracurricular hiking shouldn't be a problem down the trail I just may have to stop in Stehekin and be a day or so late for my package in Skykomish.

I did get to meet 5 sobo hikers as I am now on the correct trail and heading straight for monument 78.  One was a group of two that should be easy to catch up to as they left July 1st and are just now making it back to Harts Pass for the night. The group of three also seemed like I should be able to catch. All in all they seemed like really cool guys and I'm excited to have some other sobo-ers ahead of me.

I've decided to camp early tonight found a really nice camp site. I have a fire going, in my camp shoes and dry clothes, and couldn't be happier. Totally different feeling than last night after retracing my footsteps and hating every minute of it. I barely ate last night, I think mostly from letting myself get dehydrated, but I recognized the symptoms, chugged a liter and a half of water, and went to bed.

I have completely forgiven myself for the mistake and look forward to the hike tomorrow. Sounds like rocky pass ahead of me is covered in snow and ice, but the experience gained in my bonus miles tells me it won't be a problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment