Tuesday, July 9, 2013

July 7

Woke up this morning to rain.  I slept in for a while and when things cleared up took off down the trail. Again it feels great to be headed south on my way. I was going to stop by a lake I passed on my way north and wash clothes, myself etc., but Mother Nature had other plans. A few cloud bursts all day long some sending a little hail my way, nothing more than small bb pellet size stones though. When I got to woody pass just before rock pass I saw some weather rolling in so I beat it for rock pass to cross the snow fields before anything came through. Made it safely, again with the help of an ice axe and hiking crampons. I stopped by the pretty campsite on the saddle below rock pass and intended to make camp. However, thunder clouds started forming so I headed for the valley below and made camp in the deep woods instead of up in the high country. 

I made 14 PCT miles, started late in the morning and quit early in the day. As soon as these blisters heal I'm going to be able to crush the mileage. It's raining steady, but gently right now and I ran into another hiker on his way to the border that said it might sprinkle a bit tomorrow too. Still not a bad life out here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment