Tuesday, October 8, 2013

October 5

This morning was difficult for me to hike. The muscles in my lets were so tired from the big day yesterday that hiking seemed like it wasn't going to happen. I doubled my intake of snacks all day to try to recoup some of the calorie deficit and see if that would help. It seems to have worked to some degree, but we had a full day of almost all uphill to reach the top of Muir Pass at 11,973 ft. I was feeling gross all day too after not having a shower while in town for my last resupply. It was unusually warm today which was really nice because our lakeside lunch included a swim in the frigid mountain water. I laid in the sun for a half hour after my swim and ate as much food as I could spare. All if this combined made a difference for the afternoon hike. I felt stronger and less fatigued and was able to hike strong to the top of the pass. On the way up, we saw four mule deer bucks and one of exceptional size with a spread of antlers well past his ears. They didn't let us get close enough for a real inspection, but it was enough to electrify my redneck side. 

We spent a few minutes checking out the shelter on the top of Muir Pass built by the Sierra Club to offer protection from adverse weather conditions, then headed down to the valley to find a campsite and warmer temperatures. We had to night hike a little, but have a site that is so warm it's hard to believe we are at 9,600 ft. 

No comments:

Post a Comment