Tuesday, October 15, 2013

October 9

I am almost certain my Pacific Crest Trail hike is over. Before I get into why I will describe the events of the day that have led to this end. This morning the three of us, my dad me and Louis woke up to an overcast sky and the appearance of precipitation in the higher elevation. This was expected of course, the forecast called for an accumulation of snow of up to 1-3 inches. Nothing daunted, we went through our pre planned routine and went to have breakfast with the two section hiker ladies my dad had picked up on his way back from dropping off the other sobo thru-hikers. After a huge breakfast Louis and I were driven by my dad to the Kearsarge Pass trailhead at 9,200 ft. There were snowflakes in the air by 8,000 ft., and accumulation at 9,000 ft. Louis and I began the climb to 11,700 ft. with snow still flying. We met two hikers on their way out as we headed in and both seemed glad to be going out, but didn't discourage us from going in. We reached the summit by 2:30 pm and the accumulated snow was about 6 inches and still going strong. We reached our campsite from the other day, and decided familiar ground was a good idea since snow was still falling and the ground had about 8 inches now. We both cleared snow for our respective tents and set up what we both understand could be our homes for the next couple days. I am wishing now that I had a tent rather than my tarp, but spread out my emergency space blanket as a ground cover to offer some insulation from the frozen tundra of the High Sierras. All of my clothes are clean and dry thanks to a day in town so after a little bit of shivering I am now warm and in my sleeping bag ready for the night. It looks like the snow is close to 18 inches accumulation at this point and there are still flakes falling steadily. The forecast did say this weather would taper off by tomorrow midday, but I don't see enough melting to make it possible to continue this hike. At this point, and in these conditions, it has become more about survival and less about hiking through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment