Tuesday, October 1, 2013

September 28

The climb over Sonora Pass was every bit as difficult as expected and I even had to lug water up the last 1,000 ft. as the ridge top was waterless for the next 10 miles. I did make it 16 miles before 2:00 pm which made for an easy 11 mile afternoon to get to the 1,000 mile mark. On the way, I met a few hunters and heard one shot close by but didn't get to see any of the action. I met a few nice day hikers and chatted about the hike I am doing and about my chances of getting through the high country before it snows this year. For the first time on this trip I had a ranger check my permit, and during the check he cautioned about not making fires, etc. It sounds like I won't run into a complete fire ban and should be able to cook with my stove, although I will check with the Yosemite rangers when I get to Tuolumne Meadows. 

The vibe from most people is pretty negative on me being able to get through to Kennedy Meadows and into the Mojave Desert before it snows up here, and I understand their rationale. They, for one, don't realize the kind of mileage I can do in a day. Second, there is snow still around from last week's storm and precipitation forecasted for tomorrow. Right now, I would estimate my chances at 37% given what I have to go off of. These are not great odds, but I've enjoyed this trail so far and have no intention of coming off unless the weather forces me to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment